Quick, Simple & Delicious
Summer is the season of light, simple dishes that are exquisite to the taste buds. In this issue of the Balance, we're sharing 2 quick, simple and delicious recipes for a salad and an appetizer. Wow your family or impress friends the next time you dine on the backyard patio.
Tomato & Basil Sandwiches
This simple finger food is perfect for an afternoon snack and the kids will love it. You can use your favourite loaf of bread; our favourite is a fresh baguette. Not only is it delicious, it is nutritious and provides you with vitamin C, magnesium and folate.
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- 8 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise, divided
- 4 thick slices tomato
- 4 teaspoons sliced fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut the baguette into diagonal slice about 2 cm think. If you use sliced bread, such as whole wheat you can cut the bread into rounds slightly larger than your tomato. Kids love this!
- Spread each slice with 2 teaspoons mayonnaise. Top with tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
Tip: fresh basil from the garden
makes this a really special dish.